Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Thoughts on Love and Romance

"Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." ~Robert Frost~

I've been thinking a lot about romantic love lately, for a number of reasons. This weekend I stood and watched two of my closest friends pledge their lives to one another in marriage, and with tears running down my face (creating an impressive river of makeup, I'm sure) I realized that I was thrilled for them. Watching their particular relationship from acquaintance to marriage has been quite a long journey for me (looong story, not really necessary here) and it was wonderful to see their love recognized legally (I guess that would be the point of the marriage if you get down to the nitty-gritty). I know that the 'honeymoon stage' DOES end, but there is something to be said for finding a person you can't imagine not spending the rest of your life with. Someone who completes you and together you do more than either of you can do separately. Someone who makes you forget yourself, forget who you are and why the world seemed perfectly fine until just a minute ago.

We all want to fall in love. Why?
Because that experience makes us feel completely alive,
where every sense is heightened,
and every emotion is magnified.
Our everyday reality is shattered
and we are flying into the heavens.
It may only last a moment, an hour, or an afternoon,
but that doesn't diminish its value,
because we are left with memories
that we treasure for the rest of our lives.
- From the movie "The Mirror Has Two Faces" -

No comments: