Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Today My Inner Child Went to the Library

I went to the library today to talk to someone at the information desk about a book I'd requested, and just as happens every time I enter a bookstore, I got sucked in. You can't just walk into a library and walk back out. If you can, you should have your own commercials--or go get some therapy. So I wander around to the gardening section...many of you know that i am currently attempting to grow tomato plants in my bathroom, and so far, so good! I tried finding a book that would give me gardening tips for the puny little sprouts I've got waving above my toilet. There were several books, but nothing that looked helpful for a beginner. (Truly, i don't have any idea what KIND of tomatoes I have. I bought the seeds about three years ago) so I left Gardening and headed for the kids section.

I have recently learned the joys of starting your learning in a particular subject by going to the children's section at your local library. All the concepts will be laid out for you in clear, easy-to-understand language, with helpful pictures and arrows. Last time I went to the kid's section I came out with two books that taught me about basic timekeeping and the story of the first successful chronometer. (No clue what a chronometer is? Well, now you know where to go find out in words you'll actually be able to follow)

Since I was in a food mood, I went to the kids' cooking section and came out with Midday Meals Around the World and Everyone Eats Rice. Don't those sound fun? So next time you're at your local library, take your big grownup self and go into the Little People's World. You might learn something.

4 comments:

Emily said...

How sad that my comment just hours after you posted never showed up. :( Stupid computer.

ANYWAY, i thought this was fun. And I wanted to tell you that *I* can go into a library and not spend time browsing. ;) I do all my librarying online. Remember my hold list of EIGHTY books?! :)

Anonymous said...

I love how you look at things...it makes me smile and wish I was a little more like you! What great perspective.

Britt

Emily said...

2 things.

1. I think Brittany should blog. I miss her and would love to read it.

2. I think your inner child needs to take another adventure so we can read about it.

Anonymous said...

Dictionary.com
chro·nom·e·ter /krəˈnɒmɪtər/
–noun
1. a timepiece or timing device with a special mechanism for ensuring and adjusting its accuracy, for use in determining longitude at sea or for any purpose where very exact measurement of time is required.
2. any timepiece, esp. a wristwatch, designed for the highest accuracy.
[Origin: 1705–15; chrono- + -meter]

—Related forms
chron·o·met·ric Audio Help /ˌkrɒnəˈmɛtrɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kron-uh-me-trik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, chron·o·met·ri·cal, adjective
chron·o·met·ri·cal·ly, adverb
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Now you know what it is!
Britt